Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
And now, my son, I have somewhat to say concerning the thing which our fathers call a ball, or director—or our fathers called it Liahona, which is, being interpreted, a compass; and the Lord prepared it.
And behold, there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship. And behold, it was prepared to show unto our fathers the course which they should travel in the wilderness.
And it did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe that God could cause that those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done; therefore they had this miracle, and also many other miracles wrought by the power of God, day by day.
And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow; for as our fathers were slothful to give heed to this compass (now these things were temporal) they did not prosper; even so it is with things which are spiritual.
For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.” – Alma 37:37-40, 43-45.
This series of scriptures is GREAT. It touches on a few ideas.
- Counsel with God. This means:
- We don’t just tell him what we’re doing. We don’t tell Him what we think He ought to do. We don’t “order” Him around. Instead, we stay open to His guidance.
- We don’t expect the Lord to do everything for us. We come to the Lord with a plan and a strategy. We come to the Lord willing to work and ready for His direction.
When we counsel with God, we work with Him. It is such a great way to develop a relationship with Him. Besides, that, He is a great Counselor. He will direct our paths for our good. There is no conflict of interest.
- The Word of God
- Alma reminds us of the Liahona. When Nephi and his family exercised faith, it pointed in a direct course to the promise land. When they got lazy, it stopped working
- The Liahona is a symbol of the Word of Christ in our own lives. The scriptures and modern revelation – in other words – the Word of Christ – will point each of us in a direct course to Eternal bliss. Just as the Liahona brought Nephi’s family to the promised land, the Scriptures can point us to our eternal “promised land.”
- Don’t get lazy!
Every day we must work. We must fight for the Spirit. We must counsel with the Lord. We must look to His Word. Every day we must choose to take a step closer to Heaven.
We can also share this knowledge with others. Many people don’t have the advantage of understanding the power of prayer or the Word of Christ. Think of how their lives will be blessed with they can counsel with God and have His word available to them!