I’m working on my gratitude lists still…You can find out more about the choice to be grateful here.
Ten Things about Nature I Am Grateful For
- Flowers – my favorites are Johnny-Jump-Ups
- Birds – last night we saw an owl sitting on a large branch. It was huge. I love birds. Eastern Bluebirds, Cardinals, Goldfinches, Downy Woodpeckers, Pileated Woodpeckers, Hummingbirds…I even like the grackles and pigeons that we had everywhere in Phoenix.
- The Ocean – Even though I don’t live near it or go there very often.
- The Woods – Growing up, we would go out and play in the woods often.
- The wide open skies and spaces in the west. – I love how huge everything feels and how small I seem when I’m in the west.
- The desert. As much as I love the woods, I am also enamored by the desert. It is mysterious, and harsh. The wildlife there is also really amazing.
- The sound. I love the noise of the locusts here in Arkie-land. I love how in spring, you can tell that things are warming up when you can hear the spring-peepers. I love the screech of an owl and the bellow of the bullfrog. It is so noisy here in Arki-land, with bugs, critters, and nature, but it is the soothing kind of sound.
- Feeling refreshed – I admit I live an insulated life. I’m inside most of the time. It is kind of depressing. I have reasons for it: I have two small kids who have to nap a lot. It is cold outside, etc. However, I know that these are more or less excuses. I have noticed that any time I spend a few minutes outside, I feel happier. Even if it is cold and I am uncomfortable, I’m refreshed. Being outside, especially in nature, kind of restores us.
- The night sky – I don’t really know constellations or anything. I admit, that I’m not really as much of a nature lover as I’d like to be, but I love looking at the stars at night. I have lived in places where I can see them clearly. I’ve also lived in places where you can only see a star or two because of the light pollution. It is amazing to be out, on a clear night, in a place where you can see stars. I can’t help but think, again, of how I am nothing, yet the Lord loves me. It is a humbling feeling, yet I’m comforted. It is pretty amazing.
- Observing – I guess that the thing I love the most about nature is how it causes us to reflect, think, and observe. I love exercising in nature. (trail running – the best!). I love just sitting outside. I love figuring out the trees, animals, and birds in the area. I admit that I’m not the best at this, and I’d like to do more to be connected to the natural world. I love how when I’m outside, I observe more. When I take time to pause, I’m noticing things: the sights, sounds, smells, of the world around me – even without really thinking about it. We learn from nature, even if we’re not trying to. It is just amazing. And when we observe the world around us, I feel like it is obvious that Heavenly Father loves us.
” 44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.” – Alma 30:44
Thinking of these things makes me want to resolve to be more grateful for nature by experiencing it more, teaching my children about it. And just getting outside.
What are the things in nature that you are thankful for?