So, today we’re studying another list that can be found in the scriptures. I really like finding lists. In some ways, I think that I’m a list person, so seeing these lists in the scriptures really helps me know how I can apply the advice given into my own life.
So…before we get into the list, here’s what it’s all about:
“And now, my beloved brethren, I desire that ye should remember these things, and that ye should work out your salvation with fear before God,…” – Alma 34:37
Here, Amulek is advising that we work out our salvation with fear before God – based on our study this last week about happiness – we know that salvation is a really great thing. Salvation is eternal and endless happiness. So, if we want to inherit it, we need to work it out before God.
Amulek doesn’t just leave us hanging without any further explanation. What continues is a list that can help us to work out our salvation with the Lord. (starting in verse 37)
“…and that ye should no more deny the coming of Christ;
That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.” – Alma 34:37-38
So – here is the list that he gives us…
- No more denying of the coming of Christ
- Contend no more against the Holy Ghost
- Receive the Holy Ghost
- Take upon the name of Christ
- Humble yourselves
- Worship God
- Live in thanksgiving daily
- Be watchful unto prayer continually (see verse 39)
- Have patience (see verse 40)
You can take time to study each of these points- because they are really great, but I want to really think about the overall attitude of gratitude.
We can see in the list that Amulek has included to “live in thanksgiving daily.” But I think that gratitude is a general attitude – a way of being – that really can fit into, and help us accomplish, every single bullet point listed here.
For example, if we are living with a grateful heart, then will we deny Christ? Think about denying Christ…Even Peter denied Christ. I don’t say this to slam Peter. I say this because I think that we all deny Christ at some level – even when we’ve covenanted with The Savior.
When we remember Christ, then we are filled with a sense of His love, and we feel gratitude for Him. It is hard to even think about Christ’s life and love for us without feeling humbled, and grateful.
So…gratitude can help us – to refrain from denying Christ.
Let’s look at that list again:
Working our Salvation before the Lord with gratitude
- No more denying of the Christ – gratitude for Christ shows our willingness to accept Him and the Love Him.
- Contend no more against the Holy Ghost – Gratitude helps us to be more agreeable with the Holy Ghost and the promptings He gives.
- Receive the Holy Ghost – I’m not sure if we could receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost with an ungrateful heart.
- Take upon the name of Christ – When we are grateful for the Savior and His willingness to atone for our sins, we are led to the waters of baptism – there to covenant with Him and take on His name. Gratitude for the Savior and all the blessings we enjoy will also help us to ensure that we bear His name honorably once we have taken it on ourselves.
- Humble Yourselves – Gratitude is essential in humbling ourselves. I’m not sure that you can be humble and ungrateful.
- Worship God – That’s the thing that I think I’m learning about gratitude. I think that gratitude is a form of worship. When Christ healed the ten lepers, only one gave thanks, and he did more than just say thank you. He fell down at the Savior’s feet and glorified Him. We need to have a grateful heart when worshipping God, and I think that gratitude helps us to worship the Lord more purely and genuinely.
- Live in Thanksgiving Daily. – Gratitude helps us to live in thanksgiving daily because we are already grateful. If we are truly grateful, then we’re going to express our thanks.
- Be watchful unto prayer continually – An attitude of gratitude will help us to remember to pray always.
- Have Patience – Gratitude helps us to turn our heart to the Lord, even in times of trial. The Lord can then bless us with the patience we need to overcome the difficulties of the world.
So – with gratitude, we can accomplish what Amulek has taught us to do. I feel like as I begin to understand the Savior more, why I need, Him, His love for me, my gratitude for Him grows. The trick, too, is really remembering this all the time. I have a tendency to get a little bit self-centered and even “spoiled”. Gratitude can help us to do get closer to the Savior and His spirit. When we are close to the Savior, and have His Spirit, we are closer to His happiness and peace.
For Tomorrow’s Assignment, please click here.