This Thursday, we are having a Relief Society meeting – Titled: “Be Grateful, Be Happy.” I was asked to teach a class in Relief Society on studying the scriptures – especially finding new ways to approach and study the scriptures, finding strength in the scriptures, and how the scriptures can help us to overcome adversity and find peace and happiness.
That’s a tall order!
I am teaching this class on Thursday night, and I’ve been planning it for a while. I have taught scripture study classes in Relief Society before, so I don’t want to sound repetitive, but I have a testimony of the importance of scripture study, and I know that effective scripture study can give us strength, overcome adversity, and find peace and happiness.
The class will be an introduction – and we will study a little bit about joy and happiness in the scriptures. However, I feel like a twenty minute class really can’t do justice to the assignment I’ve been given, so I have created a fourteen-day study series. Even though many of you who read this will not be at my class, I figure, I can invite you to study along!
This fourteen day study series is called, “Joy and Thanksgiving.” Here is some basic info on the study series:
- Each day we will study something about joy or thanksgiving in the scriptures.
- We will also increase our scripture study habits
- We will locate lists, connections, and patterns in the scriptures.
- We will also work on learning how to make a scripture chain.
- And we will look closely at symbols, parables, and allegories.
- All of the scripture study elements will be integrated into the plan, so we will learn how to study the scriptures while we are learning about happiness and thanksgiving!
- This study series will begin on Friday, November 11 (11/11/11!), and it will end on Thursday 11/24/11 (Thanksgiving Day!).
If you decide you would like to study along with me, and want to participate in studying and/or blogging about what you are learning as you study, please email me at chococatania[at]gmail[dot]com. I think that it would be cool to have a scripture “discussion” on Joy and Thanksgiving – as taught to us in the scriptures. And if you think so, too, let me know, and participate in any way you can! You don’t have to participate, either. Just check in throughout the series and get a few insights on happiness and thanksgiving in the scriptures.